If you have sanctions placed on your account and would like to have them lifted please send us proof of payment for your overdue rental fees. Proof of payment may include any receipts of successful deposit such as a credit/debit receipt, University of Sydney receipt, or a copy of a BPay or Western Union bank transfer.

If you cannot provide that information or cannot repay your overdue rental payments please contact us as soon as possible and we will help you address the issue.